9.26.2005

For a few weeks, my gums were very tender and I had a pretty bad canker sore. The gums would bleed whenever I tried to brush, and the sore made eating, and sometimes even talking, pretty painful. I was prescribed something called “Magic Mouthwash” – a 5 or 6 ingredient concoction that included, among other things, Benadryl, Mylanta, and liquid lidocaine. I used this mouthwash in with my prescription mouthwash Nystatin, an over the counter alcohol-free mouthwash called Prevention, and a home-made saltwater solution.

I understand that the sores are normal for somebody with AA, and not an indication that my condition might be worsening. In any case, it's all pretty much cleared up for now. The gums are still a bit tender, but that’s the worst of it. I continue to use the Nystatin and Prevention, and the other solutions will remain in my medicine cabinet until they might be needed again. Hopefully that's never.